Do you constantly wake up with a stiff neck or sore shoulder joints? Or do you feel your regular pillow isn’t properly protecting your neck and spine?
If this sounds familiar, investing in an orthopedic pillow may help. Orthopedic pillows provide optimal comfort and better support for your head, neck, shoulders, and back – something many regular pillows don’t do. But with a good orthopedic pillow, getting a good night’s sleep and waking up without neck pain is possible. So, if you struggle with neck or back pain, we encourage you to invest in one. Orthopedic pillows are especially beneficial if you suffer from chronic neck, back, and shoulder pain or have chronic conditions such as arthritis and fibromyalgia. They come in various designs, including memory foam, contour, wedge, and cervical pillows.
But let’s take a closer look at the benefits…
What Are Orthopedic Pillows?
For anyone who experiences aches and pains in the neck or back, finding the right pillow can make all the difference in whether or not you get a good night’s sleep. Specialized orthopedic pillows provide proper support and alignment for your head, neck, and spine, helping to alleviate discomfort and promote better sleep.
But what exactly makes these pillows different?
Put simply, they specifically support your body’s anatomy during sleep. Unlike traditional pillows, which often flatten or become misshapen over time, orthopedic pillows are made from materials that hold their shape and provide consistent support throughout the night. They are contoured to match the natural curves of your neck and head, reducing pressure on sensitive areas. Many options are available, including different shapes, sizes, and materials, as well as pillows designed for specific sleep positions and postural issues. If you pick the right one for your needs – you can expect to see a big improvement in chronic pain levels and sleep quality.
Read More Blogs By ProActive Physical Therapy & Wellness Here:
Looking for a Medical Professional Run Gym
What Are The Health Benefits Of Sleeping On An Orthopedic Pillow?
Sleep is an essential part of life, which we often downplay regarding health and well-being. While we all know the importance of getting enough sleep, the quality of our sleep is equally important, and that’s where an orthopedic pillow can come in handy. The benefits of using one of these pillows are numerous, from reducing chronic pain and discomfort to improving overall sleep quality. So, if you’re tired of tossing and turning all night, consider switching to an orthopedic pillow. You’re likely to wake up feeling much more rested and refreshed.
The market is filled with different orthopedic pillows catering to specific needs. For side sleepers, there are orthopedic pillows that support your neck and align the spine properly. Lumbar orthopedic pillows provide additional support and lower back relief if you have back pain. There are also orthopedic pillows that use cooling gel technology for people who tend to get hot while sleeping. Ultimately, it is about finding the right orthopedic pillow that is comfortable and caters to your needs for additional back and spine support.
The top five benefits of orthopedic pillows are the following:
- Increase Comfort While Sleeping – Reducing pressure on the neck and shoulders to improve sleep quality: Getting a good night’s sleep is essential to your well-being, and neck and shoulder pain can often prevent you from feeling rested in the morning. If you feel discomfort in these areas, there are ways to alleviate this pressure and improve the quality of your sleep. The most obvious is investing in an orthopedic pillow, of course. You can also adjust the position you usually sleep in to reduce the strain on your shoulders. Another option is to practice gentle stretches before bed to loosen any tension. These small changes can all make a big difference.
- Improve Posture – Proper support encourages correct spine alignment: Do you ever notice how a few hours of sitting in front of a computer can leave your neck and entire back aching? This discomfort is something that many of us experience due to poor posture, which can lead to a misaligned spine. However, improving your posture can help alleviate some of this pain. Proper support – with an orthopedic pillow – encourages correct spine alignment, reducing muscle tension, ligament, and tendon tension.
- Reduce Pain – Alleviating strain on the body’s muscular system and joints: As humans, we exercise, move around, and do daily activities, which strains our muscles and joints. For many people, this strain translates into pain that can be unbearable and severely debilitating. Therefore, finding suitable ways to alleviate the strain on your body’s muscular system and joints is crucial to reducing pain. Some of these ways include practicing good posture, exercising regularly, stretching, and taking short breaks while performing activities that require repetitive motions. Another great way to reduce strain on your body while you sleep is with an orthopedic pillow. These may seem small, but they can help reduce muscle fatigue, improve flexibility, and reduce the likelihood of developing joint-related injuries and conditions. It is essential to be proactive regarding reducing pain and ensuring that your body functions correctly because it allows you to enjoy life more fully.
- Provide Stress Relief – The stress-reducing properties of orthopedic pillows make them an ideal sleep accessory: After a long day, nothing feels better than crawling into bed for a good night’s sleep. However, stress can interfere with your ability to relax and drift to dreamland. This is where orthopedic pillows come in. These specially designed pillows offer a variety of stress-reducing properties that can help create a more comfortable sleep environment. From providing extra support to easing pent-up tension in the neck and shoulders, orthopedic pillows are ideal to reduce stress and get a better night’s rest. It’s no wonder these pillows have become so popular. They’re a great addition to your nighttime routine that improves your posture by reducing pressure on the neck and shoulders, helps reduce pain in other key areas of your body, and provides more restful sleep.
- Eliminate Headaches – Reduce the frequency of headaches and migraines with good spinal alignment and neck support: If you experience neck pain after a night’s sleep, wake up with headaches, or get regular migraines, it could have something to do with your sleeping position and improper spinal alignment when you sleep. Investing in an orthopedic pillow that rectifies these issues can eliminate headaches for good.
How To Select The Right Orthopedic Pillow For Your Bed
If you struggle with neck or back pain, investing in an orthopedic pillow could be a game-changer for your sleeping routine. But with so many options on the market, it can feel overwhelming to pick the right one. The most important thing to remember is to consider your personal needs, such as the type of sleeper you are and any specific problem areas you have.
Orthopedic pillows come in various shapes, sizes, and materials, each designed to target certain concerns. You might prefer a firmer pillow for extra support, while others may need a softer, more contoured pillow for comfort. Take your time with the decision-making process – do your research and find the best fit for you. Some brands offer a free trial to “try before you by” to make sure they suit you and your body and don’t make things worse. We encourage you to take advantage of these offers because orthopedic pillows can be expensive. So, don’t get stuck with an expensive one that worsens your neck pain.
How To Maintain And Care For Your Orthopedic Pillows
Orthopedic pillows are a great investment, but as with any investment, proper care and maintenance are necessary to keep them in top shape. One essential tip is to use pillowcases to protect your orthopedic pillows from sweat, oil, and dirt. You can then wash your pillowcases regularly to keep them clean. Another tip is to fluff and reshape your pillows regularly to prevent flattening. Also, avoid exposing your orthopedic pillows to direct sunlight, which can cause discoloration and damage. Most importantly, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for washing and drying your pillows, as some orthopedic pillows require special care. If you follow these simple tips, you can ensure that your orthopedic pillows continue providing support and comfort for many years.
Sometimes, A Pillow Isn’t Enough
So, orthopedic pillows are great, but what if they don’t eliminate your headaches, chronic migraines, or neck, back, or shoulder pain? That’s easy. You need a physical therapist to find and fix the root cause – then you can use your orthopedic pillow to maintain your new and improved spinal alignment and mobility. Call us or complete the form now to book your free consultation appointment.